Russian offensive against Kyiv continues

The Russian offensive against Ukraine's capital city Kyiv continued in the early hours of Monday, the Ukrainian military said.

Kyiv, 28 February 2022 (dpa/MIA) — The Russian offensive against Ukraine’s capital city Kyiv continued in the early hours of Monday, the Ukrainian military said.

In the north of Kyiv the Russian army was trying to build a pontoon bridge to cross the Irpin River, the Ukrainian military’s General Staff said on Facebook. There was also another unsuccessful attempt to take the city of Irpin, just outside Kyiv, they said.

Russian new agency Interfax reported that Russian troops advanced from the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson towards Mykolaiv.

Meanwhile, the Ukrainian state communications service said in a post on Telegram a missile had hit a residence in the Ukrainian city of Chernihiv near the border with Belarus.

Details of the military developments could not be independently verified.

Ukraine’s Interior Ministry has reported 352 civilian deaths, including 14 children, since Russia began its attack in the early hours of Thursday.

Another 1,684 people including 116 children were wounded as of Sunday night, according to ministry figures.

Ukraine’s military said the “loss” of Russian personnel now stood at around 4,500 soldiers, and that Russian helicopters, tanks and other military vehicles had been destroyed.

Russia has conceded there have been deaths among its soldiers during the fighting in Ukraine, but has not given a number.

Peace talks were due to take place on Monday between Moscow and Kyiv on the border with Belarus.

There was speculation that Belarus could officially join the war on Russia’s side, as Ukraine’s UNIAN news agency reported Belarusian paratroopers had received orders to fly to Ukraine, citing information from Andrei Strizhak of the Belarusian non-government organization Bysol.

Western powers have responded with tough sanctions and US President Joe Biden was due to speak to allies and partners on the latest development on the crisis on Monday in a phone call.

Back to top button