EuropeEurope.portalSvet.Slajder

Norwegian police say several people killed in bow and arrow attack

Several people were killed and injured during a violent armed attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg on Wednesday, according to the police.

Several people were killed and injured during a violent armed attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg on Wednesday, according to the police.

An armed man hurt several people in the town centre and there were some fatalities, the police chief on duty, Oyvind Aas, told a press conference on Wednesday evening.

The man was thought to have been carrying a bow and arrow and appeared have been acting alone. The police are not searching for further suspects.

The attack occurred at around 6:30 pm (1630 GMT), in the city located some 80 kilometres southwest of Oslo.

Aas was unable to state how many people had been injured but said they were being treated in hospital.

Police detained the suspect, whose motives were initially unclear. It was too early to say whether the act was motivated by terrorism, according to the police.

The attack comes 10 years after the country’s worst terror attack, when 77 people were killed by a right-wing extremist.

On July 22, 2011, Anders Behring Breivik detonated a car bomb in Oslo, killing eight people, before driving to the island of Utoya, where he opened fire on attendees of the annual summer camp held by the Labour party’s youth organization, killing 69 people, mostly teenagers and young adults.

Back to top button
Close